Friday, 24 June 2011

Concept for my Music Video

Here is a copy of the lyrics by my friend and Indie singer/songwriter Ben Mitchell. This is the song that I am to create a music video for, for my A2 media project.




  I decided to use an original song and unsigned artist for my project, because then I won't have to write a letter to the artist to ask for copyright permission, and also, because then Ben will benefit too, as he will have a professional-looking music video at the end, as well as a CD cover/digipak and a website. Therefore we are both benefiting from this project.
  The name of the song is Lost at Sea, and is metaphorically speaking of the sea, but is referring to the fact that Ben is lost in his life, and doesnt know "which way to go". Because Ben falls under the Indie/ Acoustic genre, I shall try to include some of the codes and conventions that are common in indie music videos. for example, a video in black and white is frequently seen in this type of music, because it portrays the gritty realism of the lyrics and visuals. But at the same time, I will try to challenge these codes and conventions in order to keep my music video interesting and different to those already in the music business today.  
  The concept I designed for the music video is for Ben to be singing in a crowded public place with no one really taking any notice of him, when a girl comes along and either gets his attention or drops something. Ben will then 'follow' the girl as she constantly evades him, always on the very edge of his touch. The video will end at the beach, so the lyrics "I am lost at sea" will become literal, as he loses his way, and still does not reach the girl. I have asked my friend, Lucy to play the role of the mysterious girl, as she is an aspiring actress. Lucy's character will be a very dream-like and curious, as Ben can't help but follow her. I will aim to make the whole music video seem as etheral and trance-like as possile, using different shot types and angles in order to accomplish this.
  I have decided to make my video in black and white, as it is common in the indie genre, and it adds to the realism of the video. Also, dreams that are dreamt in black and white reflect the sadder emotions of the dreamer. The song is slightly sadder, as Ben does not know how to escape from this place where he is lost (like The WasteLand by T.S Eliot), which fits in with the slightly sadder feelings which can be portrayed through black and white.
  Because images and shots can construct meaning, I shall use this to my advantage wherein I will use the camera to create meanings in my music video, particularly regarding Lucy. In order to make her more dream-like, I will not show her face very much, and use the notion of looking where her reflections is visible in water for example, or she can be seen through something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment