Wednesday, 14 December 2011

My Website- Planning, Production and Evaluation

Here are some design mock-ups for my website for singer songwriter Benjamin John:
 
1:
2:
 
3:


I have decided to create my website using the design template number one, because it looks original and interesting, different to most websites available today while still looking effective and abstract.

I have compiled a list of items I will need to include in my website to make it as informative and interesting as possible:
  • Internal links to: News, shop, contact information, music playlist, latest releases, blog, images, dates
  • External links to: YouTube, MySpace, Twitter, Facebook
  • An image of either Ben or something relating directly to him or his music
  • The title of the page (his name)
  • The finished music video



This is the website I made to accompany my music video and DVD cover for Benjamin John. I took inspiration from the two websites I analysed previously; Eliza Doolittle and Ed Sheeran. The icons that link to YouTube, My Space, Twitter and Facebook at 1 have been influenced by the similar icons found on Eliza Doolittles homepage. They serve as a quick external link in order to find out more about Ben via his YouTube channel, My Space page etc. The four links are much more concise than having the whole link e.g. www.YouTube.com, or more simply, the word YouTube as a hyperlink. They are easily recognisable and take up much less room.
  The background at 6 is a screenshot of the very beginning of the Lost at Sea music video when there is an extreme close u of Ben playing the guitar. I took the image and removed the background of the shot, so the sole focus is bens fingers and the guitar. I then softened the image and faded it all together so it would become more of a background than an image. This can be called intertextuality as I am linking the website which is one type of media with a music video, which is another. I have taken inspiration for this from Ed Sheeran’s website, where he has done a similar thing on fading an image as the background of his website.
   At 5, there are five links in the shapes of flags of the world, which you can click on to take you to the same site but in French, German, Spanish or Italian. I have created the same website homepage in these languages, and the links lead directly to them. Doing this means this website can attract a much wider audience.
   The different pages of the website have their links surrounding the main title of the page, at 2. They are written in a graffiti-style font, which links with the font of Benjamin John. The colour is taken from the background-image colour, and made slightly darker so it stands out, but I faded the text so it looks slightly softer. The eight internal links are all set at different angles, in order to link with the graffiti-look of the fonts. The main title of the page (4), is Benjamin John, the name of the artist, and written in the same font as can be found in the music video and DVD cover, again showing intertextuality. Again as with the internal links, the name is in the colour of the background yet darker to make it stand out, and faded to make it softer, yet the font is different so it is clearly displayed as the title and not a link.
   The music video I created is available to view on the website homepage at 3, which is linked from the uploaded video on Youtube.


Website in French


Website in German


Website in Spanish


Website in Italian

   I think the general outcome of the website is effective; it is easily navigated because of the clear, large links to the internal pages, and there are several links to external pages in order to further the viewing experience. The colours are quite plain but there is enough to interest the audience whilst making it easy to read. There is enough white space so that it isn’t too clustered or boring. There is much reference to the music video, so the audience can tell straight away (if they have seen the video) that it is Ben’s homepage.


No comments:

Post a Comment